In this PhysicsQuest you will learn about phenomena and applications of the Physics of Light.
PROCESS AND RESOURCES
- Visit the links provided for each section and answer the questions.
- After each question be sure to include an annotated link of the website(s) you
used to obtain the information.
- Please use your own words!
SECTION 1. FIBER OPTICS
1. Describe Fiber Optics and explain how they transmit light.
2. What is the Physics principle behind Fiber Optics?
3. Briefly describe three applications of Fiber Optics
SECTION 2. HUMAN EYE
4. Discuss how does the eye work analogous to a camera.
5. Describe three vision defects: Nearsightedness, Farsightedness
6. Explain which kinds of lenses are needed to correct the previous vision defects. Be sure to use the same terminology as we use in class!
(scroll down the webpage to find this section)
SECTION 3. PHYSICS EXPLAINED
7. Describe the formation of Rainbows
8. How do Mirages form?
9. Discuss the color of the Sky and the colors of Sunsets.
10. Explain how Sunglasses work.
(scroll down the webpage to this section)
SECTION 4. OPTICAL INSTRUMENTS
11. Describe how a Microscope works.
(*) Include a diagram of the image formation by a microscope.
12. Describe how a Refractor Telescope works.
(*) Include a diagram of the image formation by a refractor telescope.
DO NOT cut & paste! Trace your own diagrams using the links or your textbook as a resource, check the appropriate chapter.