In this PhysicsQuest you will investigate about the different types of nuclear radiation, nuclear fission and fusion and the principles behind nuclear bombs.
You will read each section by clicking on the links provided and answer the questions.
PROCESS AND RESOURCES
1. What is meant by the half-life of a radioactive substance?
2. What is spontaneous fission?
3. Name two important applications of neutron radiation.
4. What is ionizing radiation?
5. Discuss the release of energy by fission.
6. What is meant by uranium enrichment?
7. Explain the role of control rods in a fission
8. What is critical mass?
9. What nuclei are fused in the nuclear reaction of
a hydrogen bomb?
10. What function does styrofoam perform in a
11. Why is a fission bomb needed as part of an
12. Name three things needed to build an atomic bomb.
13. Briefly explain how the following techniques work:
a) Gun triggered b) Implosion
14. What are the problems involved in thermonuclear
15. Describe how radioactive fallout is produced by the
explosion of a bomb.
16. What are the health consequences of radioactive
17. Briefly portray a nuclear winter scenario.
18. Albert Einstein said: "Concern for man and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors. "
Do you agree with this quote? What are your thoughts on the use of nuclear power.
19. Do you favor the proliferation of nuclear weapons?
20. What are the pros and cons of using nuclear reactions in the generation